Followers

Friday 8 January 2016

Forget about the price tag


My project today is not a card but rather a wallet of sorts I made as part of my scrapbook of my trip to North America all the way back in 2014 – yes, I craft that slowly!  This is the outside of the wallet, well, actually wallets as I made one for Canada and one for the US.




I made the wallet using Tim Holtz’s Kraft Glassine and followed his simple technique of scrunching it and distressing with ink to create a worn leather look.  I have distinguished the two wallets with a Tim stamp; on the Canadian one I’ve got a maple leaf and the US the Statute of Liberty.  Now why I thought the iCraft glue would work on scrunched up Kraft Glassine when I’ve not got it to work successfully on regular paper I don’t know but I had white foil in that brand and Tim said Glassine does not go through a laser printer.  Well when the glue failed but I still wanted my foiled effect (like the embossing you see on real leather wallets) I decided I’d have to go with the Heatwave Pen Tool as I didn’t have blue and red foils in the Ranger brand that does work with glue.  As you can see the effect was quite patchy but I am OK with that, yes, I really am.  This year is about not going for perfection but being OK with worn and grungy and I really was going for Timspiration as that is my whole deal with my scrapbook for this trip, using a Tim Collection Folio as inspired by his good friend Paula Cheney (the reason I bought a Collection Folio in the first place).

So with Timspiration being the order of the day I then knew I needed some grungy style flags for the insides as I wanted that as the background to showcase the coins I collected on my trip.  Both flags are from deviantART (Canadian from pR1m3vil and the US from think0).  I cut the circles using my Silhouette Cameo and layered three sheets of thin Kraft between the two flags.  A We R Memory Keepers Waterfall Sleeve for both the coins and the notes means you can see both sides and the clear pocket is a bit reminiscent of the clear pockets in a real wallet.



As these are going on the top and bottom flap of my Collection Folio I also wanted some journaling space.  Well, truth be told, I used a piece of Kraft to give strength to the top of the wallet and then felt it looked a bit plain so decided I’d add in a journaling card.  For this I made up a simple cheque book register (again something you would have in a wallet) and used a Marion Smith grungy digi paper as the background, I just set my opacity at 50% so it all printed nice and faintly to ensure you can easily read the journaling, which I will add when I go through and do all my journaling in the completed Folio, not sure when that will be though!


So what inspired this particular presentation of the money I collected?  I can’t say I was thinking of a wallet at all, was just going to layer the waterfall sleeves and had thought maybe a flag to signify the two countries.  But then I saw the first challenge of 2016 over at A Vintage Journey looking for vintage travel and luggage and that got me thinking.  The post talked about what kind of luggage you would take on your travels which reminded me of the trouble my friend and I had looking for wallets when we got overseas.  You see, we’d both bought these travel satchel things from Kathmandu and thought they would be just dandy with all their pockets and the crossover strap for security.  Problem was we had all these coins that were impossible to get out of the pockets that were really deep and our cards kept falling out of the card pockets and it was hard to have a small amount of cash easily accessible for the day.  In short, they just didn’t live up to expectations and we needed a wallet.  Could we find one for love or money in the places we visited in Canada?  Not at all.  So for me the bit of luggage I really needed was a good old fashioned wallet and we found them in our first US city and they were long and flat and not all vintagy like these but I’d have loved it if they were!  So I am linking my wallets up over at A Vintage Journey as their challenge inspired my creation and the actual creation was also inspired by Tim’s style.

Over at Card and Scrap they are looking for projects with stamps, which I have used two of.  Good old fashioned rubber ones to boot so I am entering their challenge.  I am also entering the current challenge at Ruby’s Rainbow, I have something new in terms of stash as the Kraft Glassine arrived in the last lot of post before Christmas and I broke the seal on the pack to make these over the weekend, and I have a new technique as Ive also (clearly!) never tried foiling over a stamp on scrunched up Kraft Glassine before either.

Ingredients:
Embellishments
Inks & Paints etc
Ranger Archival ~ Jet Black
Papers
Core’dinations Smooth Cardstock ~ Kraft
Stamps
Challenges

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. funny idea, beautiful wallets; and i promise you, you are not alone...i am really slowly as well :):) thanks for play along with us at card and scrap. DT Graciela

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I love the grungy effect on the wallets. They look fab. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Ruby's Rainbow.
    Hugs Helen P X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so beautiful.♥
    Thank you for joining us at Card and Scrap.
    Hugs Line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stilig kort og takk for at du er med på
    utfordringen hos Card and scrap,
    DT Bente:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great little wallets you created - and a wonderful place to keep the money from the countries you traveled to - beautiful AND useful! thanks for joining us in the A Vintage Journey challenge this month! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great project - thanks for joining us at Ruby's Rainbow.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts (c: